Knowledge Base

Motor Insurance Quote

Easiest and quickest way would be if you could please complete one of our online insurance quotation forms. Please use the “Vehicle Quote Forms” button for a quote on a car, motorbike, minibus or campervan/motorhome and the “Other Quote forms “ button for anything else like caravan, trailer, household, private liability, breakdown or legal cover. Once received we will email you the top couple of our best quotes to you as quickly as we can.

These are the four different options:

BFG (British Forces Germany)
You are a British soldier or an attached civilian, who has to register vehicles via the BFG-registration-office.

You are a US-soldier, who has to register vehicles via USAREUR.

Non-Forces / Ex-Pat
You are a civilian living in Germany, who has to register vehicles via the German Straßenverkehrsamt.

NATO / Other Forces
You are a soldier or a NATO member, who can choose between the following registration Offices: USAREUR, Belgium NATO, Canadian NATO, German registration, SHAPE NATO.

We always try to get each set of quotes to you within an hour, obviously if all staff are busy with clients in the office it is sometimes difficult to keep that promise BUT be assured we will try and get these to you as soon as humanily possible.

The email you receive with the quotes is quite detailed and explains which insurance company needs what emailing back for us to set up the insurance for you.

The insurance can be set up within the hour and with most insurances you can have instant cover.

Motor Insurance Cover

There are three levels of cover:

Third Party Only which is the minimum cover you need to get a car registered and legally on the road (known as KFZ-Haftpflicht in German) This covers a max. of up to 100 Million Euros worth of damage done to a Third Party (normally limited to a max. of up to 12 Million per individual person) or Third Party property.

Third Party Fire and Theft (half-coverage, also known as KFZ-Teilkasko in German) which includes the min. required Third Party cover just mentioned before PLUS damage to your own vehicle due to Fire, Theft (and attempted Theft) Glass breakage, Storm, Lightning and Hailstone damage and hitting wild animals (some even cover any animals).

Fully Comprehensive (full-coverage incl. collision, known as KFZ-Vollkasko in German) which includes the Third Party Fire and Theft cover just mentioned before PLUS damage to your own vehicle due to vandalism or accidental collision damage or being victim of “hit and run” when the guilty party can not be found. This cover is normally required when a vehicle is financed or leased in case of a total loss (total write-off).

Excess (or deductible) is the first part you as the insured needs to pay towards a claim. There are three different type of excesses: Third Party claims normally have a NIL excess. Partial Claims (Fire, Theft, Glass Breakage, Hailstone, Lightning, Storm Damage and collision with Animals) tend to have either a €150,- or €300,- excess and Fully Comp claims tend to have either €300,- or €500,- although this can be increased to €1000,- or €2000,- to reduce the premium if requested, with some insurances.

Some insurances ask you to set up your own monthly standing order from any bank account you like to use and others set up a direct debit from your German bank using your German IBAN (this can be monthly, 1/4ly, ½ yearly or annually) or send out a bill for you to pay them (this is then normally an annual payment)

Yes, although this is not required in most countries of Europe anymore, the German insurances still do issue them. They are sent out at the same time as the policy documents, so don’t worry that these are not issued immediately, your vehicle is still insured to be driven throughout Europe incl. UK, even without this green card in your car.

That used to be very true but over the years the German car insurances have changed their policies and do now give discounts for just named drivers like "Insured and Spouse only" for example.

Motor Insurance No-Claims

Most insurance companies work on a no-claims structure which means the more years you have been insured without accidents/claims the cheaper the insurance gets for you, as you get a discount for this.

Providing the proof of these no-claims is sometimes the tricky part as different countries have different structures and requirements but basically as percentages can mean different things the amount of no-claims in YEARS is the most important. No-Claims have to be on the previous insurance company's headed paper and show a cancellation date along with the amount of years that have built up. Some insurance companies also insist on seeing the date the policy started too and what type of vehicle was insured, eg. motorbike, car, caravan, campervan etc...

Each vehicle has its own set of no-claims here, so the same set of no-claims can NOT be used on more than one policy at the same time.

You normally get 4-6 weeks to provide a proof of no-claims. This can be an ORIGINAL hard copy sent through via post or a copy emailed through as a pdf attachment. If not received you will get a reminder sent out to you giving you another couple of weeks to provide this. If still not received after this period then the premium will be increased to having NIL no-claims and the difference will be debited back-dated to the beginning of the policy until the no-claims are provided and then the difference gets refunded back again once the no-claims certificate has been received, accepted and actioned.

IF you are just changing insurances from one German insurance to another German insurance then you do not have to provide a certificate of no-claims are all German vehicle insurances are linked into an internal electronic no-claims confirmation system. In this case, you would just need to provide the name of your previous insurance holding the no-claims, the policy number and cancellation date and your new German insurance will obtain the no-claims confirmation directly themselves.

No, although most insurances do work on no-claims, we also work together with an insurance company that are not interested in getting any proof of no-claims as they work out their premiums differently. This is ideal for people who do not have a spare set of no-claims for a second or third vehicle for example.

Motor Insurance Claim / Accident


The 24h helpline telephone numbers can normally be found on your policy document (this should be: 0800-227-25246 or 0049-221-925488-79 for Mirascon clients and 0800-11 22 33 44 or 0049-89-38002300 for Allianz clients for example).

It does not matter if you are to blame or not, please always call the police, as leaving the scene of the accident is a serious offence in Germany, which if not taken seriously could jeopardise your insurance cover!

Afterwards we can still assist you with all matters and help make an unpleasant incident as carefree as possible.

To report or make a claim MIRASCON clients need to please complete the online claim report form on the CLAIM page of the MIRASCON website: This is required for any sort of claim/incident even if only a chipped or cracked windscreen. Mirascon's claims dept. will email you your claims number and what the next steps to take are, all in English. If you have problems online please call: 0800 Car Claim (0800-227-25246) or 0049-221-925488-79.

ALLIANZ clients need to please call: 0800 11 22 33 44 or 0049-89-38002300 or send an email to [email protected] and we will get the Allianz Claim Report form emailed over to you to complete and return.

Motor Insurance In General

Nothing really, as German car insurance policies automatically renew for another year each year on their main renewal date unless you provide the insurance company with the required one month’s written notice (signed by the insured) before the main renewal explaining that you don’t wish to renew the following year.

No, sorry, German car insurance doesnt insure you to drive other people’s cars regardless of where in Europe they are. The owner/insured of the car you wish to drive will need to put you down on their own policy as a named driver for the time in question. It is good to ask this as many people assume this is the same throughout Europe as with most UK insurances you tend to be insured to drive other people’s vehicles inside the UK for Third Party cover only on your own UK insurance policy but this isnt the case.

You can cancel your German car insurance policy by either giving the required one month’s written notice (signed by the insured) a month BEFORE the main annual renewal date or by providing a de-registration certificate as insurance is linked in to the registration office. All the time it is registered here it needs to have insurance and to cancel the insurance it needs to be de-registered.

As German insurance is linked in to the registration system here (whether BFG, USAREUR, NATO or German registration) it can only stay valid whilst still registered here. When you leave Germany you will have to get new registration sorted out in the country you are moving to and would therefore require new insurance to do this BUT we work together with many insurance companies in other countries too, so we can get some good insurance quotes for you when you leave Germany.

Yes, some insurances provide this in English straight after cancellation via email and others send out an original hard copy on their headed paper in English and German after cancellation and will send it to your forwarding address regardless of where that may be in the world.


Yes, we do all insurances including Household Contents too. Best thing would be if you could please go onto our website to complete our online insurance quotation form for this, by using the “Other Quote forms” button and going down to House Contents. Once received we will email you the top couple of our best quotes to you.

Over the years you collect a lot of personal items, making your household contents build up to quite a value, that could be a big financial burden should you lose everything and have to replace everything new again like after a fire for example. Household Contents Insurance insures these items (furniture, clothing, electronic devices etc) in cases of fire, theft after a break-In, lightning strike, explosion, burst waterpipes, storm, hailstone damage, robbery and vandalism following a burglary.

As cover is „NEW for OLD“ the sum insured needs to be the total amount that would be needed to replace everything new. Basically speaking if you turn your house/flat upside down, what is the total value of everything that falls down. To avoid being under-insured we recommend at least €650,- per square metre of living area and that is why we ask for the square metre size of your flat/house on the quotation form.


Yes, we do all insurances including Private Liability. Best thing would be if you could please go onto our website to complete our online insurance quotation form for this, by using the “Other Quote forms” button and going down to Private Liability. Once received we will email you the top couple of our best quotes for you.

Private Liability is a “must”! A brief act of carelessness or a mishap can end up causing you significant financial damage especially if other people suffer injuries as a result of this. There are so many things that can happen accidently. Children could damage parked cars with their bikes, your washing machine may leak into the flat below or you may pour red wine over your friend’s valuable persian carpet …are just a few more harmless incidents but the list is endless and costs can easily go in to the millions.

You can get policies ranging from 5 Million to 60 Million Euros.

It isnt normally very expensive at all. Single people can get a Private Liability policy for only around €40,- per year. A family policy tends to be around €85,- per year.

UK based Household Contents insurance often include family liability incl. pets like cats and dogs automatically BUT here, in Germany for example, most insurances are separate and although cats are included in the normal private liability policies, dogs have to have their own insurance and get registered here too.


Yes, we can set up Dog Liability for around €9,70 per month for 15 million Euros cover for example.

Yes, there are generally three levels of cover. Here are some examples to give you an idea of what the insurance would cost for a dog under 7 years of age:

Basic Cover - Up to €2000,- per operation after an accident (illness not covered) – max. €3000,- per insurance year for around €11,80 per month.

Standard Cover – Up to €3000,- per operation after an accident or illness – max. €4000,- per insurance year for around €17,50 per month

Plus Cover – Up to €9000,- per operation after an accident or illness and normal vet treatment bills too – max. €10000,- per insurance year for around €53,50 per month

We will require the following:

  • Name of Pet and if female or male?
  • Chip / Tattoo number
  • If sterilised/castrated?
  • German IBAN number for direct debits.

Yes, all of Europe is covered (normally restricted to up to 6 months per year) Some also do worldwide cover.

Liability cover can be provided for dogs and horses. Health insurances can be provided for cats, dogs and horses.

Many thanks for using our Knowledge Base!

Didn’t find the answer to your question? No problem! We are here for you!

Contact us via:
Tel: 0049 2451 71028
E-Mail: ar[at]
Or visit our Geilenkirchen office.